Re: [OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: Re: [OM] Freezer Film!
From: Donald Reichle <dwreich@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:48:08 -0400
PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Don:
>
> > Tomoko,  I also started my Olympus photography with an M1, purchased
> >  used from a Baltimore photo shop in 1973.  It has functioned well all
> >  these years although I now also use an OM1 and OM2n.
>
> A "lurker" with an M-1?  My, my, you should have spoken up sooner!  You do
> know how rare those are, don't you?

Yes, I have for some time, but back in 1973 when I first bought it used,
I really didn't know what the difference was.  The salesman assured me
that it would work with OM lenses and accessories so I paid for it (I
think it was about $150) and took it home. It came with an M system 50mm
1.8 lens, case and metal hood.  I have since asked Olympus how many were
made and they responded that it was 5,000 with some undetermined amount
of M system lenses.

I used it from the fall of 1973 to about 2 years ago with no
malfunctions.  I then sent it to John for a CLA and Foam job. He said
that it had been opened. Probably why it wound up on the used market so
soon after it was manufactured. I have since retired it to emergency
back up status.

Now I will make the whole List shudder when I tell you about a lens that
I bought shortly after the M-1.  I needed a wide angle for some of the
scenic photography I was doing at the time.  I had a very small budget
and needed to be able to crop undesirable foreground out of the frames.
So I bought a SUN (Spriatone) 24-40mm F3.5 macro zoom.  Zooms weren't
common then and good zooms were quite rare.  A good cheap wide angle
zoom was unheard of. I took my chances and never regretted it.

I never did any resolution tests but it did everything I needed with
enlargements up to 11X14.  I still have it and use it most often now
with an 310 or T32 flash for candid people shots in crowded situations.
Those Olympus flashes cover the 24mm very well and zone focusing negates
the need for auto focusing.  Yes, some people get extended a bit on the
edge of the frames, but these are snapshots, not  portraits.

Every time I see someone using one of those new huge, plastic,
computerized, do everything, monsters I get a nice warm feeling in the
pit of my stomach when I pull out my smallish OM.

The more silicon chips they put in today's cameras, the more it is like
buying a computer, It's value decreases about 50 percent every 4 or 5
months.

                Enough for now

                        Don Reichle