Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole / screens & 280 flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole / screens & 280 flash
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:25:45 -0800
On 20 Jul 98 at 6:30, VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Shawn Wright wrote:
>
> >I'd have to say that Hans view
> >doesn't *sound* correct either, according to my understanding of the
> >F280. If the 3-Ti could turn off the flash in FP mode, as it does in
> TTL
> >mode at 1/60 or less, this would result in part of the frame receiving
> >*no* flash exposure if the shutter is above 1/60 (why else would one
> >use FP mode). It's my understanding that the whole point of FP is that
> >the flash consists of many short bursts such that they appear as a
> >continuous light source to the film, even at 1/2000 sec. Cutting off
> >the flash (as TTL does) would reduce the FP mode to TTL-equivalent, and
> >its inherent limitation of approx 1/60 max shutter speed.
> >That said, I suppose this must mean that the 4-Ti /F-280 must calculate
> >the required FP flash intensity/shutter speed prior to exposure, since
> >varying *either* of these values during exposure would also result in
> >uneven exposure across the film plane. (again assuming shutter speed
> >above 1/60) Which explains why the 4Ti *cannot* vary the shutter speed
> >during exposure.
>
> The camera *can* control the Super FP flash duration. The duration,
> which seems to be related to the flash burst frequency, can vary when
> controled from an OM-4Ti or OM-3Ti between 1/25 and 1/50 of a second;
> when controled by an OM-707 it can be between 1/30 and 1/70 (this is
> related to the faster shutter of the OM-707). So "cutting off" the FP
> flash wouldn't have the unwanted effect that part of the film doesn't
> get any flash, but changing the frequency (flash burst) would result in
> uneven exposure. After re-reading the FP-FAQ at

But at these speeds, it is simply quenching the flash as it does with any T
series flash, so FP mode isn't an advantage (it just wastes batteries...).

To me, the F280 is an early example of technology which Olympus could have lead
the market with, had they not abandoned further development of the OM system.
If they could come up TTL/OTF metering in 1975, just imagine what they could do
today.