Re: [OM] Hg Battery Sources

Subject: Re: [OM] Hg Battery Sources
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:32:30 -0800
Dear Zuiks:

Doris Fang wrote:

>I thought the group might be interested in this. I may well be
>ordering soon from this guy, so DON'T BUY THEM ALL!!!!!!!!
>
>> Subject: FS:  <<< PX625 MERCURY BATTERIES>>> ORIGINAL, IN US
>> I have on hand a supply of PX625 batteries. These are:
>> original in sealed package, mercury oxide, 1.35V, current,
>> fresh production - not leftovers
>> The price is $5.00 each. Postage would be 0.32 for quantity one
>> and 0.50 for quantity two. I'm in Boston

Before you ship your hard-earned $$$'s to the Great State of
Taxachussetts, let me remind you that I also have a reasonably
good supply of fresh, sealed PX625 mercury (Hg) 1.35v cells,
made by Varta (Germany) -- at same as above prices. I've sold
them to several Zuiks as recently as last week, in case anyone
needs an independent opinion.

Besides, I can guarantee that your hard-earned $$$'s will have
much more fun in LA than they could ever hope for in Boston. :-)
So, unless you are like Doris F., i.e. a close relative of that
other guy :-), pls do consider me too as a potential source for
your future Hg cells purchases. Thanks much!!

Bob Christopher wrote:

>Has anyone found a Canadian supplier of mercury batteries like
>the Mallory 640 used in the Oly 35-ED camera? The batteries
>will hold their charge 8-10 years if refrigerated.

PX640 Hg cells are trickier to track down, as they are relatively
expensive, and were used in a far smaller number of older cameras,
most of which were (unfortunately for the battey business) rather
inexpensive. Anyway, Duracell still makes an alkaline substitute
dubbed PX640A. One can get it from Radio Shack and Ritz/Kits/etc.
photo chain stores for around $4.50-5.00 apiece.

I can try to get some of the real thing -- the mercury PX640's,
but they won't be cheap (probably, around $10 apiece), so if
anyone's interested, pls drop me a private note with a number of
PX640's you'd like to buy, and I'll see what I can do about it.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx