Re: [OM] Focus Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Camera
From: "John Petrush" <jfp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:41:53 -0400
Richard,

How much focal length you need is totally dependent on your credentials.
Assuming you can not get any kind of photo pass, then you need LOTS of
millimetres........

For road courses such as Brands Hatch, you will not be able to get much
closer than 50 meters anywhere.  Than means you need *at least* 200mm to get
reasonable tight.  300mm is better.  A 1.4X-A teleconvertor is an essential
piece of kit if you are going to be serious about this, as is a monopod.

Lens speed is vital.  Both my long teles (Tokina) are f/2.8 lenses.  I'd say
f/4 is a minimum.  Even at that you are counting on good, bright light of
1000 ISO film.  As real racing occurs in the rain (unlike American-style
stock car racing) you need to be able to handle poor lighting conditions.
That means speed.

Now what is interesting is to take a very wide angle along with you too.
Wander about the paddock with a 24, or even a 21mm, mounted on your OM.  Get
close and play with angles, especially low perspectives.  Good stuff there
and speed is not important.

John P

Richard Dale <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> lamented: