[OM] Focus Camera

Subject: [OM] Focus Camera
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:44:35 +0000
Yes I did pay by "payment abroad standard transfer" from my UK bank to
their account in the Republic National Bank Brooklyn. The last time I
phoned they said the "refund was on the desk of a lady who was now on
maternity leave, but expected back in a few days", that was 3 weeks ago. I
have still not received the refund. They said that as she had all the
paperwork on her desk she was the only person who could deal with it. Its
no big deal doing a transfer, it took me about 10 minutes filling out a
form with the bank clerk. I had doubts at the time about sending my credit
card number over the net, though next time thats probably how I'll pay. I
have since dealt with B & H whom I found very businesslike and courteous,
they gave me a firm quote over the net, when/if I get my refund I will be
using them.

I have emailed FC again this week, as I do every week. I notice that the
items I ordered, 90F2, 38F2.8 and T28 twin flash are still advertised their
OM website pages, which incidentally have otherwise been updated since I
ordered the goods. I asked them in my EM why they advertise goods they have
no ability to supply.

I do not really want any other Oly goods at present except perhaps the
telephotos mentioned, but I,m not sure whether I want to buy those new
(180f2.8 & 300 f4.5). If it is the only way of getting my money back I may
have to buy other goods, eg a spare OM4TI body, auto-tube and/or some other
zuiko lens else to make it up to around $1518. The macro items are worth
buying new in the states, as they are practically unobtainable over here,
if you did see them second hand in the UK the price would be about the same
as new in the US. I had also been thinking of getting into medium format
but it is not cheaper in the US.

Its worth repeating that apart from some grey Oly items occasionally
available, the official Olympus UK import prices (for the OM system) are
extortionate when compared with the US, Japan and possibly Germany. I did
write to Olympus Japan some time ago asking them why, I got a polite letter
saying they hadn't got a clue, maybe it was something to do with the
exchange rate! Moreover they had no control over the importers price, I'll
see if I can dig out the letter to quote to list members if they're
interested.

I was a member of the UK Olympus Camera Club which is meant to cater for
serious OM amateurs, however they are now running some competitions
specifically for their auto-zoom or P & S cameras only!  When I wrote to
the Club president saying that I thought these cameras (and digital) were
just obsolescent junk, he replied saying "it was sad that I thought that
way". The OCC are now pushing these products presumably as it is only
really an offshoot of Olympus UK toeing the company line. I expect however
that most members of the OCC are still OM system users.

I'm not sure whether bombarding FC with EMs will do any good, but I am very
grateful for all the support/suggestions I have received from list members
in the states. Perhaps it would not do any harm.  Please don't do anything
"illegal" or "dubious". Perhaps I should wait until they release the
"Five", then be the first in the UK to have one.

Would US members recommend any other US photo publications, I get Aperture
and American Photo on (discounted) subscription sent to me. The UK
magazines are just very alike.

Regards
Richard