[OM] Advice about San Francisco

Subject: [OM] Advice about San Francisco
From: gknight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Gareth Knight)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:45:03 GMT
Dear all,

I am flying out on holiday with my family to California next Monday
(27th July).  I live in Manchester UK, and since we will be flying out
from there I began to read up on the new CAT/X-Ray baggage scanners.
Since this holiday will be a very rare opportunity from my point of
view, I do not want to take even the slightest risk that the film may
become fogged.

We are staying in San Francisco for one week and then travelling round
the state in a hire car for a further two weeks.

Thus, I have decided that the safest route would be to purchase most
of my film in San Francisco and possibly even have it developed there
before flying back.  I do not know how film and developing prices
compare, but if the Oly second hand prices here are anything to go by,
buying and developing in San Francisco may even prove to be an
economy.

I would be very grateful if any members of the list who live in
California, or even San Francisco could divulge some local knowledge
and intelligence in terms of good camera shops and developers.
Ideally, I would like a developer who is maybe not so quick, but
extremely reliable and capable of pushing films and developing
infra-red as well.  I think that we have two nights in San Francisco
at the end of the three weeks, so I could probably give someone 24hrs
in which to develop the films (printing I can worry about later).

Also, I doubt I shall be able to resist trawling for that sub 200
dollar shift lens :) and any recommendations as to second hand shops
who usually stock Oly would also be great.

Our motor tour of California is extremely flexible; we only have one
definite booking in the shape of Yosemite, and so we have yet to
determine exactly where else to visit.  If anyone could suggest
worthwhile stops in terms of unmissable photography ( Lake Tahoe at
sunset has been suggested to me ), it would dramatically improve my
chances of shooting something special to hang on the wall.

Obligatory Oly content:  Kit will comprise of OM4Ti, OM2SP and one
OM10 (for specials, such as infra-red), T32 and bounce grip for
indoors, and most importantly of all, the 21mm f3.5 and a nice
Manfrotto (Bogen ?) tripod.  I will take all my other Zuikos as well,
particularly the 35-105mm if I go walking any distance.

Film wise; I have a surplus of Fuji NPS 160 at the moment, which has
proved very successful recently.  Apart from this however, I haven't
decided yet, and probably won't until I'm in the shop.  I have read
with interest, warnings about Velvia (a great favourite of mine) being
over saturated and too contrasty in the vastly stronger sunlight that
that which filters through to Manchester.  If anyone could suggest a
new or even old emulsion that they would take given the choice (and
for this trip, being such a rariety, price is not a concern for once).
I am happy to dabble with Kodachrome if that might yield a memorable
result.  I am as yet fairly inexperienced with slide film on the
whole; and so I tend to rely heavily on handheld spot meter readings
(I only got the 4Ti a fortnight ago).  Thus, advice on what speed to
rate such films at in bright sunlight would be welcomed.

Finally, and I know this is probably asking a lot; but if anyone knows
of some hidden gems in terms of restaurents or cafes/diners that would
be wonderful.

Many thanks in advance

Gareth.