Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.

Subject: Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:07:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Denton Taylor wrote:

> The photos I took between fourteen and twenty were full of emptiness, pain,
> and loneliness. Yet some I cannot match to this day.
> No one has yet mentioned in this thread how the state of one's psyche can
> influence the creation of one's art.> Denton Taylor

    What we see is mostly limited to what we can recognize. This is
composed of our knowledge/biases/expectations/emotions, so there's
definitely a relationship between our emotions and what we "see"
photographically. Not just our feelings about the subject, but
our feelings about ourselves & the world in general.
    Our images can only convey what we put into them (except for literal,
content-driven imagery --- illustrations --- in which the rarity, charm,
or repulsion of the subject/product, either due to access or low
frequency, is the focus).
Photographs betray their creators. They reveal to the astute observer
what the person behind the camera felt, saw and put into the image.
If you're bursting with feeling and ideas and you can pour these
into an image, it will definitely have a life of its own.
   There's a French saying that a person's capacity for passion
is defined by the passion his parents invested in their lovemaking
right before the moment of conception. I don't know if that is
true for people, but it appears to be true for images.

                                     *= Doris Fang =*