Re: [OM] Advice about San Francisco

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice about San Francisco
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 23:48:55 -0800
Gareth Knight wrote:

>I am flying out on holiday with my family to California next Monday
>(27th July). I began to read up on the new CAT/X-Ray baggage scanners.
>I do not want to take the risk that the film may become fogged.

Be careful at SFO airport -- AFAIK, they are testing a new security
system, and its effect on film is uncertain.

>We are staying in San Francisco for one week and then travelling round
>the state in a hire car for a further two weeks. [...]  Our motor
>tour of California is extremely flexible.  If anyone could suggest
>worthwhile stops in terms of unmissable photography ( Lake Tahoe at
>sunset has been suggested to me ), it would dramatically improve my
>chances of shooting something special to hang on the wall.

Calif. has a very diverse geography, and even more diverse populace.
You'll find plenty of spectacular/unusual, lovely/hideous subjects
to snap pictures of. Weather should be VERY cooperative. :-)  If you
want a glimpse of what's out there, pls take a peak at my photos on
the OLY Gallery site, at least half of which depict No. and So. Calif.

>I am as yet fairly inexperienced with slide film on the whole;
>and so I tend to rely heavily on handheld spot meter readings
>(I only got the 4Ti a fortnight ago).

In that case, you may want to load one of your bodies with print film.
You could spend more money, but the Fuji Super G+ ASA100 has always
peformed well for me. Velvia/Sensia/Provia rated 1 stop below their
normal ASA work well for outdoors, while Kodak Elite II works great
indoors, or with earthtones and skin tones.

>Finally, and I know this is probably asking a lot; but if anyone
>knows of some hidden gems in terms of restaurents or cafes/diners
>that would be wonderful.

Hmm, the city and county of San Francisco, despite its small size,
has 2,000 restaurants. There are 20,000 restaurants in Los Angeles
county alone. Almost any imaginable cuisine is well represented.
IOW, you'll have to be more specific: are you traveling with young
kids? are you adventurous re: food? any preferences of cuisine? any
dietary restrictions?

If you are an AA member, I believe our local AAA offices will provide
you with free maps and tour guides. They are a good starting point
for attractions and lodging, but their dining recommendations are
rather stodgy, dull, and very safe.

Have a great trip.

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA