[OM] Q on MC Filters and Flare

Subject: [OM] Q on MC Filters and Flare
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 00:56:08 -0500
Oly Shooters:

A while ago I asked whether MC filters might not be a solution to flare in
SC lenses. Lee Hawkins responded without explanation that it would make
flare worse. Since I am an erstwhile academic, I accept statements of
authority readily. Taking the hint, I assumed that the MC coating passes
more unflared light, and this aggregate of light causes the SC lens to go
into a worse state of flare.  Of course, as an academic the only thing I
really know about light is that Book Three of _Paradise Lost_ begins "Hail,
holy light, offspring of heaven first-born."  A nice definition of "Zuiko,"
but I need a physicist!

My attempt to explain this to myself takes as a given a state or situation
in which a MC lens would not flare "*because* it is MC but a SC lens would
flare because it *is* SC.  But SC lenses most of the time are not in a
state of flare.  Would an MC filter *induce* flare or just exacerbate it
when flare going to happen anyway?

Are there any circumstances in which a MC filter would be either neutral or
perhaps an improvement over a conventional uncoated filter with an SC lens?

Lee, are you lurking?  Others?

Joel