Re: [OM] Ring flashes on 20 mm and 38 mm macros?

Subject: Re: [OM] Ring flashes on 20 mm and 38 mm macros?
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 11:39:07 EDT
Hi Hans,
I have been very busy this week so I have just been scanning the list, so if
you received an answer, my apologies.

Hans writes:
<< I would like to use a ringflash (not necessarily an Olympus) with the
 20 and 38 mm macros. I have the old manual versions (f3.5, using the
 PM-MTob adapter). Has anyone ever tried this before, is there some sort
 of clamp or adapter, or has anybody any idea how to make such an item?

SNIP!
It would be a simple mater to buy a filter stacker set (the metal covers would
be best) and use the back one (with the male threads) and drill a hole in the
center and place between the lens and the PM-MTob base.  I think there are
enough threads on the lens, but if not, you could make the hole the size of
the lens and drill / tap the threaded plate onto the PM-MTob base.

 I would also be interested in a method to mount the T28 twin flash to
 these lenses (or to the PM-MTob, or to the Auto Bellows front plate?).
 The 20 mm lens uses a 21 mm slide on filter, the 38 uses a 32 mm slide
 on filter.
 I have a non-dedicated ringflash (Starblitz or something) that comes
 with 49, 52 and 55mm filter adapter rings.
 For extreme macro, I'm currently using two or three T32 flashes,
 mounted on tripods, but the larger the magnification, the harder it
 gets to bring these flashes close enough.Hans >>

Snip!
Yes, this Multi T 32 set up can try the patience.  Your project to mount the
flash is worthwhile.  I recently bought a used T-10 with T control & Ring-
cross polarizer and played with some "hand - held" Macro @ 4X mag. with the 38
f2.  This adds a whole new area of macro photography to explore.
Good luck with your project.
BW