Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.

Subject: Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.
From: EdMall@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 01:16:43 EDT

<< Taking
 great pictures of family and friends is usually easy, but I've many times
 had to work extra hard at my real love, landscapes and nature, and the
 results have not always pleased me aesthetically. As many of you pointed
 out, the secret is emotional involvement. I'm emotionally involved with
 family and friends, so those become easy shots. I obviously need to find
 different landscape and nature subjects, or perhaps some other type of
 subject entirely. Something that will inspire me more and reach out to me
 emotionally. Only then will I be able to take photos that will have
 something to say. Otherwise, the photo taking experience just becomes an
 exercise in technical details, and the aesthetic side is completely missing.

If landscape and nature are your "real love" then you are emotionally
involved.  Perhaps a quick look at technique is in order.  How do you meter?
If sky is involved in a fair amount of the frame it will throw the tree line
and below out of exposure range.  Solution:  meter the tree line or meter the
ground at your feet and use that exposure.  Bracket +1, -1 with print film and
shoot 1/3 brackets (since that's how Olympus meters) with slide film.  Untill
you get the results you want try bracketing up and down to the extremes.  Burn
some film.  Record your shots!
Solution:  Try a different film.  If you're using Kodak, try Agfa.  Try Agfa
50 on a tripod and see if the saturation is what you're looking for.  Or, stay
with Kodak and pick up an enhancing filter ( great with reds); or, try Fuji
Velvia.
Look at shoots in magazines you're trying to emulate.  Check the exposure and
film and lens settings.  Compare with what you're shooting.

Bottom line:  you've got the emotional attachment - check the technical
application.
BTW:  sometimes you've got to get up really early to catch the right light.

Hope this helps
Ed