Re: [OM] OMs unobtrusiveness (was All f2s)

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs unobtrusiveness (was All f2s)
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:37:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Ulf Westerberg wrote:

> Yes, isn't this unobtrusiveness one of the most attracting things of the
> OM-system? To me, to grab a well-worn (yet perfectly functioning) OM-body,
> no winders etc, just a 50/1.8 attached and go out and capture the moment is
> one big thrill.

   Amen, Ulf. Going out with the 35-70, or a 28, 35 or 50 on an OM body
is such a joy. If it wasn't for the size/weight of OM, I'd still
 be all Nikon (and some Canon). I remember when the camera store salesman
handed me a 100/2.8 Zuiko. I'd been using the 105/2.5 Nikkors (still
one of the all-time best lenses ever made), and I was stunned by its
small size and light weight. Later, by its image quality.

> But it may reflect the times we're living in right now, you
> don't get many scores for being unobtrusive these days.

  The R8 is a huge blob, out of character with the spirit of Leica,
IMHO. I think it does reflect on the times. Most people today are
pretty blunt & brutal, or too slow and shy from what I see of street
shots in the net.
  It amazes me that 75% (according to Kodak) of all film is shot during
travel, but camera hardware design doesn't really cater to the traveler.
Olympus' design philosophy is in harmony with the traveler's needs,
IMHO.
                       Nice ramblings, Ulf
                        *= Doris Fang =*

Ps. The guy who has the stuff I listed for sale the other day here told me
he was intrigued at what it was about Olympus that had driven his father
to buy and use so many lenses, etc. He told me he had put the 50/1.4
on the OM-2n and shot a roll of his family and could't believe how
sharp and fine the images were. We know what he means.