Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)

Subject: Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)
From: "John Petrush" <jfp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:03:24 -0400
I had to grin at myself at Doris' comment "It is too easy to become
technically obsessed."  Too true :-).  As much as we all enjoy a bargin, I
don't think any of us shy away just because something is expensive.  A candy
shop I frequented had a rather large sign over the cash register that said
"Good candy isn't cheap.  Cheap candy isn't good."  Methinks that philosophy
applies to more than candy.

As a fairly hard core speed lover, I find that speed is of very little value
to me in the shorter focal lengths - in general.  However, in the longer
telephotos, I would not be without it.  However, this is clearly
attributable to my passion for motor sport.  F/2.8 is very expensive in a
300mm lens.  If I could get f/2 I think I'd go for it.  Stop shooting
Formula One or NASCAR, the Oly 300 f/4.5 would be just fine.

The one thing I do like about the faster optics is the viewfinder is so
bright, making focus with these tired old eyes a little easier.  But the
same result can be realized with a bright focus screen.  Much less expensive
than the difference between a 35mm f/2.8 and f/2.0 for example.

I guess that one (more) reason mileage varies.........

John P