Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)

Subject: Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 19:23:17 -0700
Several list members have commented on how much heavier the f2.0 versions of
Zuiko lenses are to carry. I suppose we could go one step further and say
that the slower version of any Zuiko would be lighter and easier to carry. I
did a bit of arithmetic concerning my normal kit, and came up with some
interesting figures. The following is what I normally carry on a typical day
hike.

Lowepro Compact AW bag: 4 lb. 5 oz.
Bogen 3021 tripod with 3030 head: 8 lb.
OM-4 or OM-2S body: 1 lb. 2 oz.
Winder 2 with batteries: 1 lb.
T32 flash with batteries: 1 lb.
Misc. filters, cable release, etc.: 8 oz.
Liter bottle of water: 2 lb.
Misc snacks, first aid kit, etc.: 1 lb.

**(I carry the faster versions of the following lenses, but have also listed
the weight of the slower versions for comparison)

Zuiko 24mm f2.0: 9.5 oz. (f2.8 version: 6.3 oz.)
Zuiko 35mm f2.0: 8.5 oz. (f2.8 version: 6 oz.)
Zuiko 50mm f1.4: 8.1 oz. (f1.8 version: 6 oz.)
Zuiko 85mm f2.0: 9.5 oz. (no slower version)
Zuiko 135mm f2.8: 12.7 oz. (f3.5 version: 10.2 oz.)
Zuiko 200mm f4.0: 18 oz. (f5.0 version: 13.1 oz.)

If you add up everything I am carrying, it comes to 23 lb., give or take an
ounce. The lighter versions of the lenses would weigh 15 oz. less, lets say
1 lb. to make things easy. So with the slower lenses I would be carrying 22
lb. instead of 23 lb. Not a lot of difference, percentage wise. In fact,
probably not detectable by anyone other than a professional outdoor person.

For a quick walk around the neighborhood, I usually take a body and three
lenses. Let's say an OM-4 with winder, a 24mm, a 50mm, and an 85mm. Total
weight with the faster lenses: 3 lb. 13.5 oz. Total weight with the slower
lenses: 3 lb. 7.8 oz. A difference of 5.7 oz. Again, not a lot of
difference, percentage wise. Even with just a body, no winder, and a single
lens, the weight difference will not usually be more than 2 to 4 ounces,
percentage wise about 10%.

There are perhaps several reasons to choose the slower versions of the
typical Zuiko. Flare, though I believe with the MC versions of a particular
lens this is not as much of an issue, if any. Maybe size, though I don't
find the faster versions that much harder to handle (I should mention that
I'm 6' 4", 240 lbs., and have large though not huge hands). This leaves
price, and that can be a significant reason. In the case of the six lenses
listed above, approximately $500 US for the faster versions in MC. To offset
the higher price, we should remember that the faster lenses allow hand
holding in lower light if necessary, but even more important and this is a
biggie, they allow easier focusing in any light. Yes, the 2.x series screens
do help, but they help even more with the faster lenses. One cannot have too
bright an image to focus, unless of course one is looking straight into the
noon day sun. :-) These ramblings are my own, and of course, as in any other
situation, your mileage may vary.

Regards,
John Austin