Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.

Subject: Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 20:05:25 -0700
>Ed wrote:
>If landscape and nature are your "real love" then you are emotionally
>involved.  Perhaps a quick look at technique is in order. [snip]

Thanks for responding, Ed. Not meaning to sound pompous, but I think I've
got the technique down pretty solid. Not that I don't have my share of shots
stored in the circular file, because believe me, I do! But a dull, boring,
uninspiring shot of a tree is still a dull, boring, uninspiring shot of a
tree even if it is properly focused, exposure on the money and rules of
composition observed. Looking at a scene and "seeing a picture" there is
where I have to work extra hard. I'll be the first to admit that I'm
probably more of a camera technician than a photographic artist. I'm
definitely left brained. That's why the technical aspects come to me fairly
easy with practice.  When I look at the work of John Shaw, Charles Campbell
or Galen Rowell, I think, where do they find those shots?

>BTW:  sometimes you've got to get up really early to catch the right light.

Ahaaaa! I knew there was a trick to it. I am not a morning person. Perhaps I
can specialize in sunsets! :-) In all seriousness, I think I've decided to
lighten up on myself and have fun with photography and let the chips fall. I
quit golf for just such an attitude as I was developing with photography.
Thanks for the support.

Regards,
John Austin