Re: [OM] OMs unobtrusiveness

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs unobtrusiveness
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:39:07 +0000
Why are fast lenses, at least below 135mm so expensive, are they also a
better design than the slightly slower versions, made of more expensive
glass, that much more difficult to make or what. I can see why the giant
telephotos cost so much, low production levels etc, but you can buy cheap
large astronomical telescopes, presumably their lens quality is not at the
same level.
I don't know about other folks, but one shouldn't buy fast lenses
indiscriminately (unless one is financially related to Bill Gates!).
I love low light, high contrast images---the kind that high speed
lenses are made for.  Sure, one can use an expensive fast lens as an
artificial sex organ, but that money is best spent elsewhere.