Re: [OM] 35-105 zoom question

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-105 zoom question
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:55:38 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:13:32 EDT you write:

>Is there any reason why one of the world's best lens makers would put its name
>on a lens that is made by someone else???

Yes, Olympus has put Zuiko and its name on the two new zooms made by
Cosina, and they are definitely not as good as a true Zuiko.

>The Zuiko 35-105 is a Zuiko lens.  It is in the Olympus product books and

This means nothing.  The Cosina lenses are in all the Oly lit as Zuiko
lenses.

>pamplets as a Zuiko lens.  It looks like, handles like, and shoots like an
>Olympus Zuiko lens.
>Why would you think differently?  Have you any shred of evidence to the
>contrary?

Yes, we do.  One of our list members used to be the service manager for
Oly America.  He notes that the prefix for replacement parts for the
35-105 have a prefix that usually connotes a part that comes from a
third-party supplier.

I'd be interested in knowing what data you have (other than "it's in all
the Olympus lit as a Zuiko, we we can see from above is meaningless)
that proves it *is* a true Zuiko.

Finally, I'm puzzled by your abrasive attitude on this subject.  Did you
actually design this lens and our calling it a Tokina or Kyocera offends
your professionalism?  We're a pretty nice, happy group here, and I can
*guarantee* you we have no ulterior motives in calling the 35-105 a
non-Zuiko.  We are enthusiasts, and just want to get to the bottom of
things.  I suggest you chill out and help us find the truth in a
rational manner, using concrete data, not just your opinions and
feelings.

Cheers,
--Lee