Re: [OM] Aria: The OM5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Aria: The OM5?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:55:11 -0500 (CDT)
-BIG SNIP
>In case anyone from Oly is listening, would you buy this exact camera in an
>Oly mount? Since Oly has already outsourced the OM2000, why not throw on
>some titanium or chrome covers, make a couple of spot meter improvements,
>and badge it OM5? Hell, I'd buy one!
>
>Regards,
>

>Denton Taylor

Ah, Denton,

It is very generous of you to share your new camera experience with us. And
brave. It was very difficult to resist a response (and I suppose I failed)
that Olympus has already done the rebadging of a cheap outsourced camera.
It is doubtful that an OM 3000 is really what people had in mind when they
"designed" their OM5/6. Sorry, but you are talking about a consumer
camera(albeit a nice one) from Contax which costs half of what an OM3Ti/4T
costs and an even smaller fraction of a top of the line Contax.

Aside from that it sounds like a nice camera. I hope you enjoy it as much
as you have seemed to enjoy your Oly equipment.

 I have a friend with a Pentax ZX-5 which is smaller and lighter than my
OM4T and seems to have more features including auto-focus than I could ever
learn to use. It might be an alternative should you feel the need to add AF
to the features that we cannot live without. :-) Unlike your Contax his
camera does not allow for not rewinding into the cassette, nor has he
figured out how to override the dx encoding even though he likes to shoot
Velvia at 40 instead of 50. Does your Contax enable you to do that?

What kind of focussing screen does it come with? A 2-13 Oly equivalent?
Interchangeable?

You did not mention any glass. Hope you are going to test it with one of
those Zeiss lenses with the superlative reputations.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx