[OM] Exposure/How to test "new" OM-4T

Subject: [OM] Exposure/How to test "new" OM-4T
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> This is an interesting thread. I just got my  Sensia and Kodachromes back from
> my trip to Greece and I am disappointed with the results of my OM2n. Too many
> pictures appear very underexposed (dark, muddy). Most of my exposures were set
> on Auto. (pictures from a bus and fast moving items are hard to get in Manual
> mode).  Sooo, I am getting an OM4T for its spot metering.
> It seems that the OM2N either  in need of calibration, the full screen auto
> exposure is confusing me, or I need to set the exposure compensation at an ASA
> other than the films recommended ASA.

  All automatic exposure systems have severe limitations, even the
much-vaunted N*k*n F5's color matrix. There are so many variables
involved that one often has to add input from the "big chip" (the one
between your shoulders).
  You've got lighting contrast (difference between strong sunlight vs.
shadows, for example), and subject reflectance, which can vary quite
a bit. The averaging type of metering assumes that things will even out,
but...they often do not, which is why that exposure compensating dial
is so conveniently located.
  Frankly, when shooting from a vehicle (and if we add moving, it becomes
a real Hail Mary shoot), I would pre-check the light in the sunlit areas
and the shadows, and change back & forth manually, instead of shooting on
auto.
  IMO, the best thing for you to do is to obtain an 18 0ray card, and
test your meter at noon. You can also simply play with the ASA dial
on the OM-2n until more of your slides look the way you want them
to. A hand-held incident meter or better yet, combination incident/spot
meter is something you will often see in a pro's bag.
  Do not for a minute think the spot meter is a no-brainer, either.
Its use involves just as much cerebral input as does averaging metering,
just of a different sort.
  This experience brings up (again) why it is so important to bracket,
specially if it is an important image. With the OM-2n this is an easy
matter.
                                    *= Doris Fang =*