[OM] Re: Motion Picture Film (was "Color Temp")

Subject: [OM] Re: Motion Picture Film (was "Color Temp")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 15:06:05 -0500
At 01:49 PM 8/1/1998 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi Boris:
>
>re: motion picture industry film developing
>
>> Haven´t managed to find anyone capable of doing that in Sweden yet,
sorry to
>>  say. If anyone of you have any knowledge of someone who could provide
these
>>  services (not necessarily in Sweden), please let me know.
>
>Outfits like Seattle Film Works in Seattle, WA, USA deal in 135 cartridge
>http://www.metacrawler.com
>
>and you'll find lots of posted opinions on the quality of their service.
They
> don't seem to have their own web site, though.
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Hi Gary, Boris et al.,

YMMV but I doubt it: this film is awful. I can't fault their service except
that for the price you could have two rolls of Reala or Ektar done at your
local Walmart or equivalent and probably enjoy the results a lot more.
Service can't rectify what starts as a poor product at the front end.
Garbage in, garbage out.

I think Seattle (and others) market their product assuming that people will
believe that motion picture film is ne plus ultra. What little I've read on
the subject suggests that in fact it is quite inferior to conventional
consumer film. I can verify that with my own eyes.  Very grainy, flat, and
poorly resolved.

You can buy quite a lot of it in bulk for cheap, obviously. Which is why it
is probably appealing to a company that makes its money by processing the
"free" film they keep sending you.

Joel