[OM] tripod-mount

Subject: [OM] tripod-mount
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 21:06:42 +0200
Hi everyone,
I've just met (and fallen in love with at first sight) a very very sturdy (7.5
kgs!) tripod with beautifully shaped wooden legs, cast-iron stiletto-heels and a
well curved body (sort of an oversized ball-head design, incorporating the
centre column, that can be raised (roused?) by a crank). Nothing for the faint
of heart! And nothing to go hiking with either, but perfect for a night on the
town, doing some romantic long-time exposures of city lights and a bit of
five-legged tango. Well, she was too heavy for her former buddy and after a few
soft words (and DM50) she was mine.
Anyway, she came top..ehh..headless (oh, I should stop this!), and being a
novice to 'tripod-mounted photography', my question goes to all those more
experienced in these matters: should I get myself a ball-head or a
'2-way-tilt-and-rotate' type? The main uses would be landscape, close-up and a
bit of nature/animals (though never far from the car!).
And yet another question: are the tripod-rings for the 300/4.5, the telescopic
macro-tube and the 85-250 zoom all the same? What is their internal diameter and
do they have a 3/8" thread?
Thanks in advance for any answers!

Soenke, Hamburg