Re: [OM] Spot metering faces - was- How to test "new" OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot metering faces - was- How to test "new" OM-4T
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 23:57:26 +0000

> If you know that a spot reading of the face is predictably a higher value
> than 18 0ray, why do you need multi-spot metering at all?

All skins have the same reflectance?  I don't know any such thing.

You dont "need" it, but then you dont need to have a meter in the
camera either but it can be convenient.

> Just compensate
> on the aperture ring (or whatever) for the half- or full-stop difference
> and make the shot.

Takes longer, for me anyway.

The whole point is that I was describing a way of compensating
without needing to use the compensation dial.

> Also, if you know this one value -- caucasian skin-- with relative
> certainty, why would additional data from clothing be helpful?  It's hard
> for me to see why this is an example of the brilliance of multi-spot
> metering.  Seems more like a situation in which multi-spot metering is
> overkill.
>
> Joel

There can be many ways to reach the same destination.

It is fine to have a purist attitude that there is only one right way
of doing something - like fly fishing for trout with a dry fly vs
using a spinner - but if all you want is to catch a fish and eat
it...

Giles