Re: [OM] good deal?

Subject: Re: [OM] good deal?
From: EdMall@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 22:07:16 EDT

<< Ever since the FTA and then NAFTA, Canadians don't have *any* import taxes
on camera equipment, but we still have to pay a "handling fee" and GST of 7%
on imported goods' $CDN value.  On $1500.00, that'd be $105.00 CDN plus the
"handling fee" of $5.00.  Total cost: approximately $1,610.00 CDN for a new
OM-4Ti body.  An OM-3Ti body would be even higher, of course.

 Free trade, my ass.

 Garth >>

I did very much enjoy spending money in Canada during our passage through to
Alaska in 94.  It was like being at a 250ff sale everywhere we went (except
for gasoline and cigarettes which were outrageous compared to U.S. prices).
Even better was when I got home and wrote for that 7% refund.  Found money!
Even at those prices you're quoting, the OM4T is still a great camera.  So
glad I found mine used, though.
Good luck
Ed