Re: [OM] Re: fuel prices

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: fuel prices
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:14:27 -0700
>Thought you might be interested in just how much GM,
>Ford and Chrysler make on SUV's. During the recent GM
>strike it was leaked that the vast majority of the
>nearly $2billion loss to GM was in truck sales. Chrysler
>let the cat out of the bag when it confirmed that the
>company makes over $6,000 on every Dodge Durango it sells
>to its dealers. Ford makes nearly $5,000 on every Expedition
>and GM is said to make close to $7,500 on every Suburban,
>Tahoe and Yukon it sells to its dealers.
>
>GM also confirmed that it loses money on every fuel efficient
>small car it makes, barely breaks even on the mid-size lines
>and makes almost all its money on full sized luxo-cars and
>its truck/SUV lines. Even taking into account that GM is
>the least efficient of the big three auto makers, the other
>two have confirmed that most if not all their money is made
>the same way.
>
>I've driven the big road warriors for most of my life
>(30+ years of Jeep Grand Wagoneers, Suburbans and now a
>Yukon). When I have to rent a Camry or some such runabout
>for business out of town I just dread it.
>
>[Photography content]. Ken, actually when I was doing
>technical/industrial photography for the oil & gas
>industry in the late 70's I used a Suburban to carry
>all my medium format stuff. I think the large format
>guys would have to go with a Hummer nowadays. Yeah,
>definitely a Hummer.
>
>\Bob

Not to pick on anyone, but it is amazing how height and advertising
hype(for all that profit) gets equated with size. Most SUVs such as the the
Jeeps, 4runners, Rodeos, Explorers, Blazers and Pathfinders that populate
urban freeways have the same interior room as a compact station wagon, when
you measure them. Several years ago one magazine stuffed a Taurus wagon and
Jeep whatever, the larger one with beer cases.  Their capacity was the
same.  A Nissan minivan held substantially more than either. They do not
take a larger parking space than a Honda Accord or Ford Taurus. They are
just difficult to park because it is difficult to see up close out of their
elevated windows and because of their poor turning radius.

Oly content: it is similar to the extra bright focussing screen phenomenon
- all subjective impression and no objective measurement.  Bright screen:
Yeah, it looks different it must be lots brighter and easier to focus.
SUV: I sure am high and it is hard to park. It must be bigger.

None of this applies to a Suburban which is truly huge and if you can
afford to keep one then you are probably foolish not to buy a small nation
somewhere and elect yourself president. :-)

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx