Re: [OM] Split prism focussing near f5.6

Subject: Re: [OM] Split prism focussing near f5.6
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:48:39 +0100
Christopher

I believe that the microprism and split-screen focussing aids work by
having a fine tolerance to the angle at which they are viewed (through the
viewfinder).  Therefore, when you move your eye, relative to the
viewfinder, you will find the difference in light transmission when there
is less than normal (i.e. with a slower lens) reaching the focussing
screen.  Thus, I believe that you only have to move your eye slightly to
find the angle from which you can see through both sides of the split
screen - if it will be possible at all with the aperture at which you are
working.

I use all-matte screens (1-4) because I found the 1-13's aids obscured the
view (!);  I have been tempted to buy 2-4 screens, but I have not yet
succumbed.

I hope that this rather vague and unscentific attempt at an explanation is
useful.

Chris

"Mankind hopes vaguely, but dreads precisely." George F Will