Re: [OM] Will Oly new prices be reduced as result of Yen drop?

Subject: Re: [OM] Will Oly new prices be reduced as result of Yen drop?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 18:56:55 -0700
>Any opinions on whether Oly prices on new lenses and OM-3/4 Ti will come
>down soon as result of Yen drop? As I understand it, Nikon has not
>dropped prices on manual focus lenses, only autofocus. Am toying with
>the idea of ordering new camera, but don't want to do it just before
>price reduction!
>
>Neal     Rockwell@xxxxxxxxxxx     Panama City, FL  USA

I wonder. There was a lot of discussion a couple of months back about an
Oly price hike before and after it went into effect. Some dealers on the
list confirmed the official price raise. However B&H never raised their
prices because, I suspect, they deal with a lot of gray market which more
closely follows the real value of the currency. If you get something new
for close to the B&H price it is not likely you will do much better even if
Oly lowers official prices in the U.S.

This may be akin to the E. Leitz policy of using a fixed list price, but
giving rebates when the DM slips in value. It looks like Oly is allowing
gray market selling without making it a big issue.

The new government in Japan appears to be attempting to take charge of the
situation. If successful the yen should stop its slide even before there
are any real effects of action taken as long as confidence is restored.

My two cents.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California