[OM] Henri Cartier Bresson - OM equivalent to Leica M + 35/2?

Subject: [OM] Henri Cartier Bresson - OM equivalent to Leica M + 35/2?
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 13:22:37 +0100
Amateur Photographer (8 Aug) has a long article to celebrate the 90
birthday of Henri Cartier Bresson on 22 Aug.  Some of the photographs in
the article are quite inspirational, but the one which prompted this note
is the magazine cover which show a photograph by Dennis Stock of HCB poised
with his Leica and small lens with hood.  I have heard that some
professionals (artists) swear by the usefulness of the little Leica RF
cameras with a Summicron f2 and I wondered whether the OM1 with the 35/2.8
or 40/2 could not be just as inspirational (that's balanced mentioning the
Leica I hope!).

Certainly, when using my little 40/2 with my OM1N recently, I have managed
to use it for all sorts of shots - portrait and landscape.  In Italy and
Austria I left the Pola filter on with a 28/2.8 solid, screw-on hood and
left the ensemble loose in the centre compartment of my bag (Billingham
Hadley, a wonderful sack of a bag which looks a bit like an old-fashioned
school satchel!) so that I could whip it out for grab shots.

I know, I have not yet seen the results to judge my prowess or the quality
of the lens; but leaving the former aside as a permanent imponderable, and
taking the latter for granted does anyone else try to stick to one (prime)
lens for a day or a subject or whatever.  Do you think that we are past the
days when the "Decisive Moment" was possible, interesting or a work of art?

The article. by the way, is well worth reading.  There are many photographs
and the reproduction is wonderful (normal for AP I suppose).

End of musing/ramble.

"The man who lives in the past is blind in one eye but the man who forgets
it is blind in both." Solzhenitsyn.