Re: [OM] Henri Cartier Bresson - OM equivalent to Leica M + 35/2?

Subject: Re: [OM] Henri Cartier Bresson - OM equivalent to Leica M + 35/2?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 10:40:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Chris Barker wrote:

> I know, I have not yet seen the results to judge my prowess or the quality
> of the lens; but leaving the former aside as a permanent imponderable, and
> taking the latter for granted does anyone else try to stick to one (prime)
> lens for a day or a subject or whatever.

  I do it all the time. My favorite lenses for this are the 24/2.8,
28/2.8 & 3.5,  35/2.8 (my fave), and 50/1.8. Works for me...

>  Do you think that we are past the
> days when the "Decisive Moment" was possible, interesting or a work of art?

  Any photograph is a slice of time. I do not think there's anything such
as THE decisive moment in a universal sense, but all photographers should
be decisive about what moments they choose to open the shutter curtains
to. IMHO, it is regressive to imitate HC-Bresson, but the tradition of
street shooting is alive and well, and any photographer can make it living
art and interesting if s/he is progressive about it. A little study of
the history of Street Shooting (Joel Meyerowitz co-authored a new book
on the subject) might help in providing a departure point, as does the
article mentioned.

                                   *= Doris Fang =*