[OM] (OM) 1n/MD 2 problem

Subject: [OM] (OM) 1n/MD 2 problem
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Aug 98 10:53:32 +1000
Cc: sgoggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- Begin Message ---
Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Re: (OM) 2S/Winder 2 problem
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Aug 98 12:58:58
At 07:32 PM 8/7/1998 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 8/6/98 3:49:37 PM, Ed speculated on the following
problem:

><<> My OM2S, which doesn't suffer from any of the bugs hashed out in this
>> forum, will not function properly with the Winder 2.  Basically when you
>> trip the shutter the camera will make an exposure, but not advance the
>> film.  A subsequent push on the shutter release will then advance the
>> film.  This happens about half the time; otherwise the winder will go
>> through its full cycle.>>
>
>When shooting with the OM4T and the winder 2, if I release the shutter with
>the camera's shutter button, rather than the button on the winder 2, I then
>have to push the button on the winder to wind the film.  Noticed this when
>shooting hummingbirds with a remote screw-in shutter release.  Solution is
>buy the remote electronic release for the winder.  Of course, pushing the
>shutter release on the winder2 releases the shutter and winds the film.
>Hope this helps
>Ed

Ed,
I believe that what you are describing is normal operation. The shutter
release on the *camera* never causes the winder to wind. The original
problem described has to do, I think, with operation of the winder and its
failure to go through a full cycle of shutter release and winding after one
touch on the *winder's* shutter release.

I think John H. weighed in on this. It sure sounds like an electrical
problem to me. If the mirror were occasionally locking up, I would be
suspicious of the batteries;  and if it were an OM-1, I would guess the
slow shutter mechanism were in need of cleaning.  It would be helpful to
test the camera with a known good winder, or else try this winder on
another camera to see if the results are the same.

Joel

--- End Message ---