Re: [OM] Olympus straps (was: OMitis and OM service in Australia)

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus straps (was: OMitis and OM service in Australia)
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:13:13 -0500
This discussion of camera straps has me thinking (oh, no, dive for cover,
he's thinking again!).  I have gone through my share of camera straps and
have come to despise most of them.  The thin letherette ones have always
ended up breaking on me.  I trashed a Yashica that way and dropped one of
the OM's with them too.  Based on those experiences (and similar with my
Dad), I shy away from the letherette ones like the plague.  The thin nylon
ones are better, but I've seen a couple of them fail too.  The only
advantages to the thin nylon straps that I can see is that you can carry a
couple cameras around your neck without too much strap binding hassle.  They
also pack better inside the camera bag.

I've been using these thickly padded, stretchy, straps that are sold by
Tamrac and others.  I've had a couple of them now for around six years and
they don't show any sign of wear yet.  They are great because of the design
it seems as though the camera is half the weight.  These straps are
expensive, but in comparison, I was replacing straps almost every year
before picking these up.  They don't look robust, but I've even used them to
keep from falling off a cliff.  When my stuff was stolen early this year, I
wasn't upset about losing the IS-1, but the camera strap.  (both were later
recovered).

Oh, they come in designer colors such as blue, red, green, but I prefer
basic black.

Ken