Re: [OM] 35-70 or so zoom, SUV

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70 or so zoom, SUV
From: Marko Vrabec <marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:25:06 +0200
>I would be interested in hearing (again?) about the pros and cons
>surrounding zooms in the 35-70 mm range, more or less.  Anyway, for
>those times when you are willing to settle for less perfection than a
>bag full of fixed fl glass, but would be able to respond more quickly
>to a variety of situations, I thought I would like to give one of
>these a try. Do any of the available lenses support close focussing or
>macro function?

I have too, among the others, asked this question here, so it is worth
to search the archives for past discussions on this topic.

Following a hint from a member of this list (Branko Turk), I have solved
my dilemma by purchasing the Zuiko 35-105/3.5-4.5 and I can strongly
recommend it. It will give you a lot more on the tele side (105mm vs
70mm is significant!), and its close-focusing setting enables you to
focus to 30cm, giving a 1:5 magnification ratio, which is better than
most Zuiko primes will give you. The general consensus on this list is
that the optical quality of this lens is very good, at least for a zoom.

This lens on OM4t plus a 24mm/2.8 Zuiko (or instead an F280 flash and F
cord) fit comfortably in a small and simple "zoom bag" which I can carry
on my belt. A combination, which covers my style of shooting almost
completely. Very useful for trekking, when you don't want to carry
too much photogear and want to have your stuff on hand all the time.

Best regards,

Marko Vrabec