Re: [OM] Weddings and babies--decisions, decisions

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings and babies--decisions, decisions
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:31:00 -0500
>Take the job. On the day of delivery of my second son I was white water
raft
>guiding. The baby was late (thankfully!)

I think the saying is "Up a creek without a paddle."

I decided to turn the job down.  It's doubtful that there would be a time
"conflict", but if the baby comes earlier, I won't really be in a mindframe
for wedding photography, and if it comes later, I'll be one stressed out
puppy.

Oh, the flinch-point ended up being around $750.  I could have really
cleaned up on this one.  Karen doesn't care about the money (this time), so
a dutiful husband, I'll be.  But... it would have helped fund a lens,
scanner or flash purchase...

Speaking of weddings and cleaning up...   I got another order from a wedding
done early this year.  Interesting--Almost every single picture I took has
had reprints done.  The only non-sold pictures were obvious flubs.  Soooo,
those of us who choose to shoot 250-300 pictures vs 70 in a wedding still do
ok.  In the wedding photography books, the authors encourage you to shoot
the "saleable" shots and ignore the others.  What I'm finding is that even
the most off-the-wall picture will sell.  I took a few reception line shots
(which you are told to ignore in the books), that have sold incredibly well.
One wierd shot (technically, a real tosser) ended up selling four 3R prints,
two 5x7 prints and a 8x10.  You never know.

Ken N.