Re: [OM] scanned res for 4C output?

Subject: Re: [OM] scanned res for 4C output?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:10:37 -0700
On 12 Aug 98, at 19:29, Denton Taylor wrote:

> > Can anyone tell me if using a 1400dpi scan from a Nikon coolscan
> >  is sufficient for 4 colour glossy printing at about 6x9" size?
>

> Staying above 150 dpi after setting the image size in your digital image
> editing software insures a good quality print, at least on my Epson 800,
> although I detect a *slightly* better print at aound 200 dpi.  So you should
> be able to go to 9 x 13.5" without quality loss, assuming NO cropping.  I scan
> many 35 mm f/2.8 Zuiko (single coated) shots.  They make remarkable 8 x 12
> digital prints, even at a diffraction limited f/16.
> >>

> I missed the original post... If you mean 4C printing, as in real heavy
> metal printing press, the rule of thumb is to scan at double the line
> screen. You'll have to ask your printer what line screen he will be using.
> For glossy paper, probably around 120, so you could get by with 240dpi. I
> usually use 250dpi with good results. If, OTOH, you are speaking of an
> inkjet print, see Gary Resse' reply above!

Thanks for all who've replied so far. I've since re-scanned at 2700dpi
on the Coolscan, and corrected a focus error which resulted in poor
sharpness. The final output will be 4 colour glossy, so I will check
with the printer on the line screen used. After all this, I've decided I
don't really like the shot that our publications person picked (taken
at around 6pm - contrast is perfect, but too many shadows), so I
may shoot it again while she's on holidays, and slip in a new one
anyway. I'll probably just do it on neg film, shooting at a few
different times of day while the good weather still holds.

I suspect 1350 dpi scanning will yeild pretty close to 240dpi at the
final repro size, but is there any advantage to scanning at 2700,
and having photoshop scale it down?

One more question - what would a typical charge be to supply a
cover shot for a small brochure, with a run of approx 5000 - 10,000
copies? I won't actually be charging this rate, but am thinking of
donating my work at a specified dollar value...

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)