Re: [OM] scanned res for 4C output?

Subject: Re: [OM] scanned res for 4C output?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 05:17:47 -0400
>>I suspect 1350 dpi scanning will yeild pretty close to 240dpi at the
final repro size, but is there any advantage to scanning at 2700,
and having photoshop scale it down?

One more question - what would a typical charge be to supply a
cover shot for a small brochure, with a run of approx 5000 - 10,000
copies? I won't actually be charging this rate, but am thinking of
donating my work at a specified dollar value...>>

I would scan it in at the highest possible value, doing as much correction
as possible in the scanner software (which is probably 30 bit). Do whatever
else you need to in Photoshop, including the last step, conversion from RGB
to CMYK. Then scale it down.

For a small business or group, I would think at least $200--much more if
they have $$$. Then, you could add some more for doing the
pre-press--remember, if they hired a pro they would only get a slide, not a
digital file.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com