[OM] Re: Bits and music was scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: Bits and music was scanning
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:53:21 -0400
>>Oh, Denton, I've been testing with the new Earthworks directionals.  My pair
are flat (within +/- 2dB) from 5Hz up to 30kHz and down about 6 dB at 40kHz.
I've recorded these directly (via extremely high quality mic-amps) into a
Sadie running 24/96.  The results are absolutely amazing.  There is so much
"placement" information that it sounds more real than real.  Even when
listening to the studio monitors you can hear things happening behind you.
Converting the results to 44.1 kHz lost the placement information, but just
band-passing at 20kHz didn't.>>

Thanks for straightening out the details <g>

I recently took my turntable out of storage, added a Creek phono section
and Sumiko Blue Point, and got out some of my old favorites, as well as a
few new DCC 180g vinyl pressings.

I set up my system to do some comparisons btw mat'l I had on LP vs the same
mat'l on CD. While there were many obvious differences in favor of the LP,
the biggest difference was as you suggest in the placement of the
instruments both horizontally and vertically. Far superior on the LPs...