Re: [OM] TAMPA Photography (was OM eqivalent to Leica M + 35/2?)

Subject: Re: [OM] TAMPA Photography (was OM eqivalent to Leica M + 35/2?)
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:49:14 +0100
>   As far as finding bargains, I have found plenty, and I assure you that
>Tampa is not a photographic hotspot, nor is it a leader in household
>income for its size. It is all in how good you are at resourcing
>effectively. I've picked up some things on travels to many other places.
>Sometimes when I only had 24 hrs to spend there...
>You do have to look & spend time doing it. It takes patience and some
>knowledge of hardware. The stuff is everywhere.
>
>                          *= Doris Fang =*

I lived in Tampa for 2 years, and I found one good, pokey camera shop where
I bought my OM4 to replace a stolen OM2SP.

As for photography, there are many place in Tampa good for taking photos.
Ybor City was great for contrasty B/W shots, the twisters over Hillsborough
Bay were quite exciting and the jets at MacDill AFB for the anoraks/jet
spotters.  There was Hillsborough State Park, all those lovely jungle
places, and at night in summer time, the lightning lit the clouds up like
chinese lanterns.  I even have a close-up of icicles on palm trees on
Bayshore Boulevard in the winter of 89 (when there were 24 hr power cuts on
Christmas Eve and Day - I cooked our turkey in the Weber).

Or did you mean that there were not many places to buy cameras ...:-)?

In the UK and Germany, bargains are quite difficult to find.  I often read
old editions of Amateur PHotographer for adverts which I fancy and call the
advertiser to see if the item is sold.  Often, he/she has asked slightly
too much and no one has telephoned, so I can make an offer.  Once, a
300/4.5 was hidden away in the N*k*n adverts and I got a good deal with an
OM1N (except that he did not pack it properly, the lens was mounted and the
body was badly damaged; and he was broke and he had spent the money and it
took 8 months to get my money back....etc... moan moan).

Recently Richard found a 40/2 for me in Hannover for DM350 (rate 1.80/$).
I swapped my 28/2.8 for it plus DM200 and regretted it until I found a 28/2
for £150 by answering and old advert.  Sorry I'm rambling now.

Chris

"The man who lives in the past is blind in one eye but the man who forgets
it is blind in both." Solzhenitsyn.