Re: Scanning (Was: Re: [OM] HCB - OM eqivalent to Leica M + 35/2?)

Subject: Re: Scanning (Was: Re: [OM] HCB - OM eqivalent to Leica M + 35/2?)
From: Omer Nezih Gerek <gerek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:54:40 +0400 (EET DST)
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Terry and Tracey wrote:

> >Audio data is only slightly different the visual data.  On the subject of
> >audio, it is true that 44.1 kHz is barely sufficient for quality audio.
> The
> >recording industry has been switching over from 48kHz tracking (later to
> >convert to 44.1 for CD mastering), to 96 kHz tracking
>
> What is the term oversampling then? I thought I understood it, but then the
> yterm 1bit sampling came out, and I'm totally lost.
Well, well, the 1 bit DAC/ADC sampling business is just to perform really
44.1 Mhz sampling for 16 (24, whatever) bit precision using linear
components. The surround effects, as well as other minutiae sub-details
are effects of phase, which are really disturbed with nonlinear
multi-bit sampling devices. So, the result of 1 bit DAC/ADC sampling at 16
times oversampling, lets say, is actually sampling at 44.1KHz with 16 bit
precision. If the samplers and quantizers were ideal, we would not need
any of these. The sampling at 44.1KHz would be sufficient, and the only
constraint would be the quantization levels (12, 16, 24 bits). If only the
printers could be ideal.. at least as good as the photography
printing process.. Dreaming..

OMer