Re: [OM] dedicated flash for OM2s

Subject: Re: [OM] dedicated flash for OM2s
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:20:09 -0400
RedBoy 99 wrote:

> Looking for an independant manufacturer's dedicated unit for my OM2s.
> Preferably something with a guide number in the neighborhood of 100
> (feet).

I've got a Vivitar 3700 I use as a backup to T32's.  I think the GN is
about 110 (feet).  The advantages are the fully articulating head, high
flash stance, and ability to use the Vivitar AC adapter.  (Handy as a
slaved remote at wedding receptions.)  Unlike the 285, there is only
one  other manual output (1/16) besides full blast.  The Omni-bounce for
this flash is several times the size of the tiny head for the T32, and
gives a more pleasing spread of light by comparison.  The unit has a
top-heavy feel, but I haven't broken the foot off yet, which I can't say
about my T32.  I've seen 3700's go for less than $50.

Vivitar TTL modules in theory should perform the same an an Oly unit,
since it's all done in-camera.  As far as regular "auto" mode, again it
seems OK with print film, but I don't use this mode much.  I'm curious
why you don't want the T32.