Re: [OM] "Bokeh" and the 2-13 screen

Subject: Re: [OM] "Bokeh" and the 2-13 screen
From: Brice1021@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 17:52:46 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-14 Winsor wrote:

<< Several people commented on the improved "bokeh" viewing through the new 2
series screens.  I think I must disagree.  If you look at any vertical
 lines or verticals mixed with horizontal lines that are out of focus such
 as a background for an indoor portrait, you get very wierd interference
 patterns. I have noted this with out of focus books in a bookshelf and
 window frame moldings.  Miniblinds near the vertical edge of the window
 produce an alternating checkerboard pattern almost like pixels. The same
 situations with an I-13 produce out of focus images that closely resemble
 an out of focus image on film.  I guess everyone has their preferences. >>

snip

Once the excitement of getting a 2 series screen wore off (gee! it's like
having a brand new camera) I began to notice the differences in out of focus
effects.  It was most noticable with the 85/2.  The backgrounds seemed to be
more defined than they should be, like I was using an f2.8 or f4 lens.  IMHO
there is a handicap in the previewing capability of the 2-series screens.  But
I must say that the increase in brightness far outweighs the decrease in
bokeh.

Like Winsor, I too have noticed the wierd diffraction patterns of the 2 series
screens.  I have also noticed a similar effect with the 1-8 screen, probably
attributable to the finer matte surface of these screens?  Theres got to be a
scientific explaination for this effect but I'm no physics expert.  Maybe Lee
H. can shed some light <g> on this.

Bill Rice
RLB, Illinois