Re: [OM] T-10 vs T-28 flash?

Subject: Re: [OM] T-10 vs T-28 flash?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 17:20:48 -0700
I am relatively new to using ring flash, and quite new to the T-10 in
particular.  My favorite of the Oly macro flashes is the T-28 twin flash.  I
very much like the capability to move each head independently to place light
and shadow as I want it.  A nice Olympus touch is the T-32 filters fit just
right in the T-28 heads.  Good for getting lighting ratios just so using ND
and/or diffusion filters - haven't played with colored filters yet.  When a
soft and very flat light is called for, as in copy work and some insect
shooting (specifically butterflies), the T-8 is my prefered choice.  The
flash is directed radially from the lens optical axis, then reflected to
provide a fairly soft, shadowless light.  Not very powerful, but mates
nicely to the 90 or 135mm macros providing good working distances.  The T-10
is new to me but my early toying with it show its axial light output much
more direct. I hope its not too harsh.  The cross polarizing filter is
amazing, effectively providing very fine control of reflection and glare.  I
am looking forward to photographing a set of highly reflective porcelain
figurines.  Preliminary setups show great promise.

As Mark mentioned., each flash has its special niche.

John P
Life is a coloring book ...... get out your crayons!