Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which is the best of the XAs ?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 12:11:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Shawn Wright wrote:

> Thanks for the comments, Doris. How effective is the rangefinder
> focus on the XA? Is it simple for a novice to use? Or would I be
> better off the get her a new Stylus?

  The Stylus is a decidedly different camera than the XA. You have the
options of focus/exp freeze (partially depressing shutter button), and
flash options, but that's it. If your wife wants a "coma" camera
(mindless) then the Stylus is the way to go. The XA demands some user
awareness and input (and rewards you richly). The RF seems simple enough
to me, but the AF is a brain-dead thing. The lag time with the XA is but a
fraction of that of the Stylus.

> How does the sharpness/contrast and other functions of your
> Stylus compare with the XAs?

  The XA (and XA2) are superior in sharpness, though the Stylus has
produced prints that I've blown up to 11x14 and were satisfactory.

> Is the Stylus Epic worth the extra money?

  From everything I read, yes. But it is still not an XA in many ways.
For example: In the Chicago El trains, I often took pics of people sitting
right next to me and across from me (in homage of Walker Evans's subway
shots) without them knowing, something you cannot do with any AF save
perhaps the Hexar. My XA's go on to several minutes' worth of exposure,
and I've shot many a night scene propping them up on curbs, cafe' tables
(usually a glass or cup turned upside down), mailboxes, building
ornamentation, you name it. The Stylus and Epic can't come close. Oh, yes,
spring for the A-16 if you can. It is well worth it. The XA synchs
(straight synch, not the power robbing FP mode) out to 1/500th, something
even the F5 and the Hexar don't do. Am I driving up the price yet ?

> ps: Since she doesn't read the list, I can reveal my plan... I'm
> hoping to either trade or sell my OM-10, then get an OM-1 or 2 in
> its place. Of course, if I get her an XA / Stylus first, I might just
> avoid sleeping in the garden shed... ;-)

  I see...not to mention you can borrow the XA as well.

                               *= Doris Fang =*