Re: [OM] MO4 and slow sync TTL

Subject: Re: [OM] MO4 and slow sync TTL
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:45:52 -0500
At 05:17 PM 8/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear OLY luminaries:
>
>I just bought an OM4 and have yet to recieve my manual from Olympus. I
>have a question for the list: how do I sync at speeds lower than 1/60th
>in TTL mode on the OM4? In the camera's auto mode, it always syncs at
>1/60 and in manual mode the flash fires full power with no apparent TTL
>metering. I really hope that is not the only way the OM4 works.  I have
>been using a T-20 and a Metz 32Z2. I just ordered a T-32. Thanks for any
>and all responses.
>
>Ara Oshagan

Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to do slow sync flash on an OM SLR
with ambient exposure on automatic and the flash on TTL. On the OM-3Ti, you
can set the ambient manually, and still get TTL flash. On the others, you
must set the shutter speed and aperture to the proper values manually, and
user either manual or normal auto (controlled by the sensor on the flash)
for the flash.

Your camera does give one easy way to control the balance of ambient and flash
in auto mode, though. Since the shutter speed will be 1/60, the difference
between the shutter speed shown in the viewfinder display and 1/60 will be
the amount by which nonflashed parts of the scene will be underexposed. You
can avoid the "cave look" by twiddling the aperture dial so that the
indicator stays between 1/15 and 1/30. This requires a good choice of film
ISO. For most interior scenes, 400-800 works well. Use 100 film, and you will
run out of apertures before you get to 1/15. You can cheat a little, if your
film will tolerate underexposure, by setting the exposure compensation dial
to -1. This will underexpose the flash and get it closer to the ambient
exposure. Both parts will be underexposed and grainier (on print film).
If the picture is important, it might be better to rewind and reload with
higher speed film.

You can get slow-sync TTL by wiring a delay circuit (= to the shutter
speed you want) into the flash trigger line and, I believe, disconnecting
the flash ready light line.

Paul Farrar