[OM] Chicago Camera Show report

Subject: [OM] Chicago Camera Show report
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:58:09 EDT
Hi all:

I had an enjoyable time meeting OM List member Bill Rice and doing the Chicago
Camera Show (Photorama) with him.  It is a small world since it turns out we
have worked the same stores over the years looking for OLY equipment.

We saw about a third of the vendors stocking something from the OM System,
from dirt cheap user grade to overpriced Exc+ and mint equipment.  I got me a
35 mm f/2.0 MC Zuiko for $95 (9 glass/8 cosmetics) so I can do the HCB thing
in style!  It even had the box (incorrectly marked H.Zuiko) and had the worst
condition case I've ever seen.

Bill and I discovered two OM-1's with fine cosmetics, but with mirror lockups
which wouldn't fully retract the mirror.  Another OM-1n (Mint) died when
shutter testing.  A $140 OM-2n with T-20 and 50 mm f/1.8 had a dead sync
circuit, but wasn't marked 'As Is."  So it was a buyer beware show!

One dealer had two Winder 2's (8-) for $50 each.  Both had OM-1/2 chrome
coupler caps in their housings, so I bought one for $5.  The guy was
dumbfounded, but I've been unable to locate these easily lost caps and needed
it.  (He put the other one on one of his bodies which needed it).  The same
guy (he also had the 35 mm f/2.0) was selling a 135 mm f/2.8 with some
cleaning marks for $75 and a fine looking 55 mm f/1.2 for $125.

There was a mix of many other OM System lens at prices to be expected. As far
as exotics, I only saw a Ring Cross Filter Polarizer for $150, a Macro Flash
Shoe Ring for $75 and a T-10 Ring Flash 1 for $160, all like new in box.

In southern Michigan, I ran across a Recordata Back 2 for $75 (LNIB), and 4
Olympus ECRU white point and shoots for $300 (new, in box) a 1-8 screen ($10),
a 35-70 mm f/3.5-4.5 (autofocus) for $65, and a Tamron Adaptall mounting ring
for Olympus OM at $15.

FWIW, the "Way" series books (Leica and Pentax) are selling at $12 to 15, but,
alas, no "The Olympus Way."

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV