Re: [OM] MO4 and slow sync TTL

Subject: Re: [OM] MO4 and slow sync TTL
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:54:32 -0700
On 16 Aug 98, at 13:45, Paul D. Farrar wrote:

> Your camera does give one easy way to control the balance of ambient and flash
> in auto mode, though. Since the shutter speed will be 1/60, the difference
> between the shutter speed shown in the viewfinder display and 1/60 will be
> the amount by which nonflashed parts of the scene will be underexposed. You
> can avoid the "cave look" by twiddling the aperture dial so that the
> indicator stays between 1/15 and 1/30. This requires a good choice of film
> ISO. For most interior scenes, 400-800 works well. Use 100 film, and you will
> run out of apertures before you get to 1/15.

I've often used this method (including yesterday's wedding shots)
for outdoors, where I know that if the meter reads 1/30 or so, I can
safely assume the flash will only provide a small portion of the
overall light, so I don't worry too much about the aperture.
But I've wondered about this: indoors, if one must open up to f/2.8
in order to achieve a 1/30 meter reading, yet the flash dial (for
normal auto flash) indicates that it will expose correctly for f/11 at
the film speed in use, doesn't this mean the subjects in flash range
will be correctly exposed for f/11, or *four* stops overexposed?
I've never actually verified this logic (or is it flawed logic?), but have
always consciously tried to remain within +-1 stop of the flash
aperture for this reason.
As Paul indicates, using 400/800 ISO indoors usually achieves
this, but since I mostly use 100 ISO, I'm often faced with the
choice of using a "safe" aperture (also for good DOF in cases
where I can't be sure of exact focus) instead of opting for a choice
which would even the fill ratio better.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright