Re: [OM] OM4 and OM4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 and OM4Ti
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:28:42 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:24:15 EDT you write:
>In a message dated 8/18/98 1:10:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, omtech@xxxxxxxxx
>writes:
>
><< Unfortunately, there are no  components available separately for the 4
> circuit.  The ICs (4 of them, I think) are/were custom made for Olympus by
> Sharp and are covered with  something like epoxy after they are soldered to
> the flex. >>
>
>It's probably a dead end, but has anyone contacted Sharp about availability of
>these components?

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.  The Sharp components on the flex
are ASIC's (Application Specific Integrated Circuits).  The were custom
designed and built by Sharp for Olympus.  In almost all cases, this kind
of arrangement involves a non-disclosure agreement, which means that
even if they had a room full of them laying around, Sharp could not
legally sell them to anyone except Oly.  I've tried to get various
ASIC's in the past to replace ones that had died in various instruments.
When I could get them, I had to get them direct from the company they
were made for, not by the company that manufactured them.

Cheers,
--Lee