Re: [OM] Super Telephoto

Subject: Re: [OM] Super Telephoto
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:50:31 -0700
>For a fast zuiko telephoto what would members of the list recommend:
>180 F2,
>250 f2
>or 350 f2.8
>with or without 1.4 converter. Does that degrade performance noticeably, eg
>180 + 1.4 compared with 250.
>I could only afford one, once my finances have settled down from the last
>batch of purchases.
>I would like to use it for motor racing/nature photography etc.
>I'm not sure if the 2nd hand prices are similar, dependent on condition
>etc.
>Is it worth splashing out or are the 180 f2.8 or 300 f4.5 nearly as good in
>practice.
>Thanks
>Richard

There are some pictures in the OM System Handbook to demonstrate the 1.4 X
telextender. One of them is with the 350/2.8 at a body building contest.
The sharpness and color contrast is the proverbial knockout. You can see
skin texture even in reproduction. There is also a wetland shot with the
same combination with stumps and grass in fading evening light that looks
really sharp. Not much depth of field though.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx