RE: [OM]Lens consistency(was Zuiko 100/2.8)

Subject: RE: [OM]Lens consistency(was Zuiko 100/2.8)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:07:00 -0700
>You jest, surely?
>
>I doubt any examples of the 250mm f2 had 'ordinary' performance.
>
>I recall someone once said that the 180mm f2, 250m f2, 350mm f2.8 and
>the 24mm shift lenses were all assembled by hand by one skilled
>craftsman at Olympus.
>
>I am not able to vouch for this story personaly but it is a nice
>story anyway.
>
>With these particular lenses I doubt the variance between samples
>when shipped would be very much at all.
>
>Giles
>
>PS  Part of my brain is telling the rest that wry humour may have
>been intended, in which case forgive me for not registering it as my
>humour detector is off-line for repairs at the moment.
>
>>  This is quite interesting, especially the experience with a "bad"
>> sample.  My concern is with testing a single example of a particular lens.
>> You may have tested a specific example of the 250mm f2, however it might
>> have been an exceptionally good example out of a bunch of fairly ordinary
>> performers.
>>
>>  I guess my question is:
>>  How much variation can we expect between different examples of the
>> same lens ?
>>
>>  ...Wayne

I would have to side with Giles. I have long been convinced that Oly and
any other quality lens maker could build lenses with more manufacturing
consistency and quality control than Modern or Pop Photo could EVER muster
in their lens tests. When you would see later tests of a lens because it
was attached to a new test camera, you would frequently see HUGE
differences in the findings. After a while one of them, Modern, I think
stopped retesting and just quoted the earlier test.  You could tell from
the serial numbers quoted in the article. I could never tell whether they
just were preserving their staff resources in not retesting a newer version
of the same lens or they were just tired of reader flack on the
inconsistency. And I admit I will still look at a test. Hopeless I guess.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx