Re: [OM] Super Telephoto

Subject: Re: [OM] Super Telephoto
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:29:49 +0200
Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

> gma wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > and compare the results for the 180/2 to those for the 180/2.8.
>
> Good you brought it up George ("gma") as my next question about lenses is:
> Is the 180/2.8 really as bad as the test shows? I mean, VL (very low) in
> contrast
> at corner and not too good at center either... Can the test result be trusted?

Hardly, wasn´t it the same source which claimed the 200mm Zuiko a
mediocren lens?
My sample of this lens is excelent, with and without the Olympus 2x
converter, this lens delivers tack sharp images, the limiting factor is
normaly the film grain.

I´ve some test results published in ColorFoto, who indicate, that the
180mm/2.8 Zuiko is wide open as good as the Zeiss 180mm/2.8 Sonnar, the
corners of the Zuiko are actualy better.
With stoping down, the Sonnar can gain more than the Zuiko, but
performance of both is very close.

Richard