Re: [OM] More eBay crazyness

Subject: Re: [OM] More eBay crazyness
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:29:21 -0800
Dan Lau wrote:

>I just happened upon eBay today and I noticed that they had a
>"Leather soft case w/strap for Olympus OM" up for bids, and
>the current high-bid is $31.50 (with 7 bids).  I don't get it,
>these cases can be bought at used camera stores for about $10
>(but you'll have to find them first); and the straps are
>either free or $1 (I've bought several for that price).

There is a strage dichotomy on eBay wrt OLY goodies.  Solid,
useful, well performing items such as OM-1/2/10/G/PC bodies
or 28/2.8, 135/2.8, 200/4 etc. Zuikos sell well below their
photogear market values (aftermarket lenses get even less
respect), whereas various "gadgets" fetch sky-high prices.

Books for $35-45, owner's manuals for $10-15, lens and body caps
for $8-17, and the list goes on.  I came up with two possible
factors/explanations:

(a) Since most gear is sold "as is", i.e. w/o MBG, many buyers
    hesitate to buy complex items (read: bodies and/or lenses).
    Indeed, what could possibly go wrong with a book, or a lens
    cap, or a camera case?

(b) Many nettizens who bid high on trivia items must live in
    rural areas, w/o access to a competitive or even competent
    photogear market.  For them, the alternative is to drive
    many miles, sometimes hours, to get what they want/need,
    and so they add that cost to their bids.

Does that make any sense?

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA