Re: [OM] eBay and ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] eBay and ethics
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:57:10 -0800
Gary Reese wrote:

>the seller certainly lacks ethics.  By setting a reserve which
>wasn't met, then contacting a potential buyer who was the highest
>bidder, the seller managed to avoid paying eBay a sales fee.  I'd
>want to see such characters banned from selling other items.

Unfortunately, the relationship between eBay and the individual
seller is highly biased to begin with.  eBay provides absolutely
no customary auctioneering services to either the seller or the
buyer.  Moreover, sellers have no recourse when eBay's grossly
inadequate network capacity and frequently crashing servers badly
undermine their auctions.

Sadly, right now there is no serious competition to eBay, and so
its management is not too worried.  In fact, they are rushing to
cash in with a forthcoming IPO.  Hence, I am not losing any sleep
over a few sellers potentially defrauding eBay.  In fact, I hope
that one of them will get smart and sue eBay's sorry ass for gross
incompetence.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA